Features

Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family

A modern Japanese residence built in the sukiyazukuri architectural style

Former Residence of the Kinoshita Familyイメージ

The Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family is a modern Japanese residence that was originally completed as a private residence in 1941 for a man named Ryosuke Matano. It came into the Kinoshita family’s (Mr. Kichizaemon Kinoshita’s) possession in 1952, and in 2000, the bereaved family of the late Mr. Kichijiro Kinoshita donated it to Hyogo Prefecture. It was registered as a national tangible cultural property in December 2001, as it has almost completely retained its appearance since its establishment, while other Japanese residences in Osaka and Kobe have been gradually disappearing since the Hanshin/Awaji Great Earthquake.
Enjoy the leafy front garden and courtyard that harmonize with the adjacent Maiko Park, where the garden layout from the time of the residence's founding remains intact.

About the facility

Business hours

All year 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. [Last admission: 4:30 p.m.]
Days closed Mondays * The facility is open if Monday is a national holiday, and is closed on the following Tuesday instead.

Admission fee

Classifications Individuals Groups (20 people or more)
Adults 100yen 50yen
Senior citizens (aged 70 or over) 50yen 40yen
Joint ticket for all three facilities (adults)
[Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family, Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall]
340yen
  • High school/ junior high school students and younger children: free of charge
  • Admission is free for a visitor who presents his/her physical disability certificate, rehabilitation certificate, or mental disability certificate and also for his/her attendant.
  • Senior citizens aged 70 or over need to present proof of age.
  • Three facilities (Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family, Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall)

About the facility

Site area 2,290 square meters
Year of construction 1941 (Expanded in 1943)
Size Total building area 343 square meters Total floor area 432 square meters
Main building Single-story (partly two-stories) wooden building (Registered Tangible Cultural Property No. 28-0073)
Warehouse Two-story earthen-wall building (Registered Tangible Cultural Property No. 28-0074)
Barn Two-story wooden building (Registered Tangible Cultural Property No. 28-0075)
Administration building Two-story reinforced-concrete (RC) building

交通案内

By train 5-minute walk from JR Maiko Station 5-minute walk from Maiko Park Station of Sanyo Electric Railway
By express bus 5-minute walk from Express Maiko Bus Stop
By car There is no parking lot at the Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family. Use the parking lot at the south area of Maiko Park.

Gallery

  • The maids’ room, servants’ room, outside toilet, and barn are not open to the public.
  • You can view the warehouse from the outside, and the courtyard from the room.

Gooigle Street View How the inside looks

Facilities

  • Maiko Marine Promenade

    Maiko Marine Promenade

    The Maiko Marine Promenade is a 317 meter-long promenade constructed in the bridge girder, located approximately 47 meters above sea level. On a sunny day, you can get a full view of Awaji Island, as well as Osaka Bay and the Seto Inland Sea. There is an observation lounge in the center. A restaurant is also available.

    Details

  • Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family

    Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family

    The Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family is a modern Japanese residence built in 1941 in the sukiyazukuri architectural style. It is particularly valuable because it has kept its appearance since its founding, as other Japanese residences in Osaka and Kobe have been gradually disappearing since the Hanshin/Awaji Great Earthquake. It is registered as a national tangible cultural property.

    Details

  • Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former

    Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club")

    The Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), also known as The Old Kanebo Maiko Club, was built at Maiko Beach in 1907 by Muto Sanji (1867-1934), who is said to be the restorer of Kanebo, and was a member of the House of Representatives.

    Details

  • Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (Ijokaku)

    Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (Ijokaku)

    The Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall is a rare building in that it was constructed with an old technique called wooden-frame concrete block construction. It is registered as a national important cultural property in 2001.

    Details

  • Dream Lens

    Dream Lens

    The monument “Dream Lens,” created by a sculptor Keizo Ushio, was installed to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the foundation of the Akashi-Kaikyo Ohashi Bridge, and also to praise the achievement of the 12th mayor of Kobe City, Chujiro Haraguchi. Mr. Haraguchi is the “father” of the bridge, whose construction took half a century.

    Details

  • Maiko Park Pine Forest

    Maiko Park Pine Forest

    Maiko Beach has been featured in poetry since the days of an ancient anthology of Japanese poems called the Manyoshu, and its sandy seashore dotted with pine trees has been a familiar sight to many people through the ages. Since opening on July 25th, 1900, this pine forest of scenic beauty has been frequented by many visitors.

    Details