The Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), also known as the Old Kanebo Maiko Club, was built by Muto Sanji (1867-1934) at Maiko Beach in 1907. Muto Sanji is said to be the restorer of Kanebo, and was an active member of the House of Representatives. After he passed away, it was used by Kanegabuchi Boseki Co., Ltd. as its social welfare facility, and was called the Kanebo Maiko Club. However, the Japanese-style building was taken down for the expansion work of National Route 2 in conjunction with the construction of the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, and the western-style building was relocated to Kariguchidai, Tarumi-ku.
In 2007, Kanebo Co., Ltd. donated the building and furnishings to Hyogo Prefecture. In the same year, the prefecture started relocation/restoration work to move the building back to Maiko Park, its original location.
After this relocation/restoration work was completed, the western-style building became a new tourist attraction representing Maiko Park. Here visitors can enjoy the scenery of the strait and the pine forest, a view that still retains the atmosphere of the old days, while also learning about the culture and lifestyle in a western-style seaside cottage in the Meiji period.
The Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club") was registered as a national tangible cultural property in July, 2011.
About the facility
|All year||10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. [Last admission: 4:30 p.m.]|
|Days closed||Mondays * The facility is open if Monday is a national holiday, and is closed on the following day instead.|
|Classifications||Individuals||Groups (20 people or more)|
|Senior citizens (aged 70 or over)||50yen||40yen|
|Joint ticket for all three facilities (adults)
[Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family, Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall]
- High school/ junior high school students and younger children: free of charge
- Admission is free for a visitor who presents his/her physical disability certificate, rehabilitation certificate, or mental disability certificate and also for his/her attendant.
- Senior citizens aged 70 or over need to present proof of age.
- Three facilities (Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family, Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall)
About the facility
|Site area||approx. 1,287 square meters|
|Year of construction||1907 (Relocated and reconstructed in 1995)|
|Size||Total building area approx. 292.7 square meters Total floor area approx. 422.4 square meters|
|Main building||Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), two-story wooden building|
|Administration building||Two-story wooden (partly reinforced-concrete) building|
|By train||5-minute walk from JR Maiko Station
5-minute walk from Maiko Park Station of Sanyo Electric Railway
|By express bus||5-minute walk from Express Maiko Bus Stop|
|By car||Use the parking lot at the south area of Maiko Park.|
Gooigle Street View How the inside looks
Maiko Marine Promenade
The Maiko Marine Promenade is a 317 meter-long promenade constructed in the bridge girder, located approximately 47 meters above sea level. On a sunny day, you can get a full view of Awaji Island, as well as Osaka Bay and the Seto Inland Sea. There is an observation lounge in the center. A restaurant is also available.
Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family
The Former Residence of the Kinoshita Family is a modern Japanese residence built in 1941 in the sukiyazukuri architectural style. It is particularly valuable because it has kept its appearance since its founding, as other Japanese residences in Osaka and Kobe have been gradually disappearing since the Hanshin/Awaji Great Earthquake. It is registered as a national tangible cultural property.
Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club")
The Former Residence of Sanji Muto(Former"Kanebo Maiko Club"), also known as The Old Kanebo Maiko Club, was built at Maiko Beach in 1907 by Muto Sanji (1867-1934), who is said to be the restorer of Kanebo, and was a member of the House of Representatives.
Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (Ijokaku)
The Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall is a rare building in that it was constructed with an old technique called wooden-frame concrete block construction. It is registered as a national important cultural property in 2001.
The monument “Dream Lens,” created by a sculptor Keizo Ushio, was installed to commemorate the 5th anniversary of the foundation of the Akashi-Kaikyo Ohashi Bridge, and also to praise the achievement of the 12th mayor of Kobe City, Chujiro Haraguchi. Mr. Haraguchi is the “father” of the bridge, whose construction took half a century.
Maiko Park Pine Forest
Maiko Beach has been featured in poetry since the days of an ancient anthology of Japanese poems called the Manyoshu, and its sandy seashore dotted with pine trees has been a familiar sight to many people through the ages. Since opening on July 25th, 1900, this pine forest of scenic beauty has been frequented by many visitors.